Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Mouth watering Coca Cola braised shortribs



According to Wikipedia Braising (from the French “braiser”) is cooking with moist heat, typically in a covered pot with a variable amount of liquid, resulting in a particular flavour. In my kitchen braising is one of the simplest and most delectable ways to cook meat, especially short ribs. As shown, this well marbled piece of meat needs hours to breakdown, but once broken down. . .this meat will fall off the bone and make mouths water.

Ingredients
  • 5 pounds of short ribs, boneless are more expensive, but just as tasty. I use bone in. About 3 inches long, a butcher will happily cut for you.
  • 1 turkey roasting pan
  • 1 two liter coca cola
  • 1 cup of soy sauce
  • 1/2 cup of Worcestershire sauce
  • salt and pepper

Directions

Preheat oven to 400 degrees and put all of the ingredients in the roasting pan. Cover with foil, and cook for 3 hours. The longer you cook the more tender the short ribs, fall off the bone is my style! Enjoy.

Tips and Ideas

  • Try it with Dr. Pepper
  • Add more soy sauce if you prefer a more savory flavor
  • A crock pot is a great tool for braising
  • Take a cup of the liquid after cooking and thicken with a mixture of water and dissolved flour or corn starch(1/4 cup), this is called a slurry. Stir mixture in liquid over medium heat, and watch you sauce thicken.


2 comments:

Unknown said...

Chef Adam, your recipe was amazing. I was inspired by Andalu's coca cola spareribs and searched the web for a recipe. Yours was the first that came up. I did short ribs two was - classic red wine braise (Balthazar's) and your way. My husband preferred your recipe. It was sweet and savory and delicious. Thanks!

Ross said...

I want to make this recipe this weekend in my slow cooker. I do best when I follow directions to a T, can you please provide the slow cooker steps for this recipe?